THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF YOUTUBE ADS
Module 3 Of The FREE “How To Advertise On YouTube” Course
In this episode we’re going to be covering all the wonderful types of YouTube ads.
There are a few different types of YouTube ads:
- TrueView In-stream
- TrueView Discovery
- Bumper ads
- TrueView Shop
- Reserve buy in (minimum spend & have to go through a google rep)
Let’s break down the different YouTube ads:
TrueView In-stream ads are skippable advertisements that play before the selected video.
The benefit of these is that you only pay when the viewer watches 30 seconds of the video, or it’s entirety (whichever comes first).
So, if your viewer clicks “skip” you are not charged…meaning you will only pay when the viewer is actually interested in your ad.
You pay when a viewer watches 30 seconds of your video (or the duration if it’s shorter than 30 seconds) or interacts with your video, whichever comes first. This is called Cost Per View, known as CPV.
YouTube is the second largest search engine behind Google itself. So, it would make sense to have an ad focused on discovery or in-market audiences.
TrueView Discovery ads work similar to the normal display ad and attract people when they are searching or browsing on YouTube or across the Google display network.
These ads can appear next to Youtube videos, on the YouTube search result page, on the YouTube homepage, on channels and on the Google display network.
They appear as text and a thumbnail image to link to your video. You are only charged when your ad is clicked.
You’ll be charged only when viewers choose to watch your ad by clicking the thumbnail.
- To get some great additional exposure you can include a Companion Banner image ad that accompanies your TrueView In-Stream ad.
- Did you know that running a companion banner on a TrueView In-Stream or Bumper video ad is actually FREE?
- Did you also know that when someone is watching a video and they skip a TrueView In-Stream ad, your Companion Banner will stay on their screen until they finish their video?
- How great is that!?
- You can also direct people to a webpage from a Companion Banner ad but, you will be charged for a ‘view’ if someone clicks on your ad, even if they don’t watch your video.
- If you don’t want to provide the option to skip over your ad you can run a 6 second bumper ad. They aim to surprise users with brevity and delight advertisers with extended campaign reach and brand results.
- With 6 seconds to make your point, it is more important than ever to have good creative.
- Bumper ads use CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions) bidding, so you pay each time your ad is shown 1,000 times.
TrueView Shop Ads:
- If you have ever seen those neat little tiles that overlay YouTube videos, these are called TrueView Shop ads.
- While these are fantastic for linking up to 6 products directly from your store to a video, you will need a Google Merchant Centre linked to your AdWords account.
- If you are new to YouTube advertising, I recommend trying some of the other types of ads before you start exploring TrueView Shop ads.
Reserve buy in ads (minimum spend & have to go through a google rep):
We won’t be focusing much on these types of ads as they are really only for businesses with bucketloads of money. I will still go through and explain them to you so we aren’t leaving you in the dark about anything to do with YouTube.
- These ads are the familiar non-skippable 15 to 30 second videos that play before YouTube videos.
- If you want a simple and effective way to communicate a message and get visibility but for a higher cost, this type of ad is for you.
- These ads allow you to serve a video up to 60 seconds long that plays at the beginning of a video and can be skipped after 5 seconds.
- Whilst this may sound like a feasible choice for an ad there is a direct replacement for you which can get you great results.
- These types of ads can be found on the homepage of YouTube in a few forms. You can probably take a look at the YouTube homepage and see what business appears on the homepage, this is a Masthead ad.
- Only consider these ads if you have a very juicy advertising budget, as they get quite expensive.
( you can use what i wrote for the WP content for this)